A few days ago, right before the New Year, I started feeling overly anxious and really down, so much so that I brought in this year depressed. I know, who brings in the New Year sad? Hashtag, me guys.
Let’s go back. A few days ago I sent a text to my friends to tell them that I wasn’t doing so good. I NEVER send texts like this because I don't believe in pity parties, but the anxiety I was feeling really began to weigh on my body, so I had to say something. Within a few short minutes of sending the text I got a face time call from two of my friends, who didn’t hesitate for one moment and were on it before I could say another word. Filled with concern, they knew the right words of encouragement to get me back in good spirits again. I mean I was so down that my boss noticed, my mom could hear it in my voice, and I just wanted to be alone.
Truth is, I didn't want to admit that I was depressed because when you admit it, it's really real. I didn't want to be depressed, but I had been out of commission for two weeks (maybe more). It started off with missing a few days at the gym. Guys I NEVER miss the gym. I missed my morning devotions and prayer time, and I worked minimally. I worked so hard on relaunching THEBEAUTYCAMPAIGN, endless nights and early mornings, but I felt like I needed a break.
Sure enough two weeks had gone by and I was just off my normal routine. This was the demise of my emotions and I fell into a slump, otherwise known as depression. No gym, no prayer, real productivity. My friend Borley knew exactly why I had fallen, and she didn’t hesitate to tell me that I had been so unproductive within the last two weeks. And she went on to explain to me that when you don't do what you know you should do it can cause emotional drought. She went on to say that, "Happiness is one productive activity away". She encouraged me to return to my productive lifestyle.
My other friend, Peace went on to encourage me as well and told me that “One must take time to dig the well before you get thirsty”, and that I cannot allow myself to get down without putting in work to uplift MYSELF. We ended the face time call in prayer. Needless to say, it is so nice to have friends like them.
While my lack of productivity cause me to be slumped, and that may seem like a first world problem, depression is REAL. It is very real and it is not a healthy emotion, so if you like myself are battling depression this very moment, I challenge you to take back your life! I’ve been depressed before. Quite frankly, three years ago I started this business depressed, but there IS light at the end of that very dark tunnel. It is not easy to see it, and it is not easy to get out of it, but YOU CAN and YOU MUST!
I am here to be a voice of encouragement for all of those that are experiencing a heaviness of heart. You can not allow another day to pass and you not do something to shake yourself loose of depression. I have listed 6 steps to take back your life because you just have to!
1. REACH OUT TO SOMEONE- Get the help you need! I am fortunate enough to have a world class family and support system filled with great friends, church family and even my boss so when I am feeling down I know that I don’t have to go through it alone, and neither do you. You HAVE to reach out to the people around you that will uplift you and won’t let you go through it alone. Talk to a positive relative, friend, Pastor or even a therapist but talk to someone.
1. GET UP AND BE PRODUCTIVE- You heard me. Work on your business. Work on your house. Fold clothes, meal prep, make a list, check it twice and complete it. Continue to strive to be the best you possible. Set goals, and make plans to reach those goals.
2. WORKOUT- working out has been so good to me. Not only have I lost weight, I but everyday I release awesome endorphins that start my days in pure bliss. When I leave the gym, most days, I just feel good. When you feel good it enhances your mood.
3. HAVE DEVOTION TIME- I am a Christian so I get in the Word of God. It is like medicine for the soul. I play Psalms 119 on my Bible app. I sing worship songs and I cry out to the Lord and I tell Him how I feel.
“Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you”- 1 Peter 5:7
4. EAT HEALTHIER FOODS- Again, when you feel good internally it enhances your mood. When you are depressed you tend to feel down, sluggish, like you just want to sleep. You must eat more foods that produce LIFE! Increase your veggies and TAKE YOUR VITAMINS. You need all of the energy you can get because there is a war within and you must WIN IT!
5. INDULDGE IN POSITIVE PODCASTS- There’s nothing like an uplifting podcast, youtube video, or sermon. You must learn to pour into yourself and listening to awesome messages on self love and value really help with uplifting your spirit.
6. Last but not least, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE POSITIVE FRIENDS- The Lord Himself blessed me with two awesome women of God in my life. They encourage me in my business, in my non existent love life, and with my goals. They help to sharpen me in my areas of weakness and besides all of that, they are a really good time. We do everything together from travel, to dining, to girls night in, to praying every time one of us has an issue (because it’s not a game).
I am not a doctor but these steps helped me tremendously and I hope they help you!If you are currently battling depression please contact me by clicking the contact section of home page. Remember that it is not necessarily about what we go through but how we go through it. And my prayer for you all is that you will come out on top! Until next time, please have a beautiful evening!